The course is designed to provide Dental Nurses with the educational experience,
including the knowledge, critical understanding, intellectual skills, practical skills and personal attitude to enable them to provide effective oral health education for dental patients.
NEBDN Certificate is equivalent to a Level 4
- Maintaining Good Clinical Practice
- General Health and Disease
- Patient Assessment and Treatment Planning
- Patient Management
- Health Promotion and Disease Prevention
- Management, Leadership and Working with Others
Who is the OHE course for?
NEBDN’s Certificate in Oral Health Education is specifically designed to equip a dental nurse wishing to develop professionally to become an Oral Health Educator, with the knowledge and skills required to be able to effectively deliver oral health care messages, educate various patient groups and have the ability to adapt information and communication to the specific needs of the patient.
Equivalent to Level 4
What the course involves?
Undertaking this qualification will help to develop your communication skills, which are essential for delivering oral health education and being an effective educator. You will gain in-depth knowledge of the importance of oral health, along with methods and approaches you can use to communicate with patients.
You are required to complete a work-based Electronic Record of Competence (eRoC) and an online written examination. This log of experience will help you to capture vital information about the oral health education you are involved in upon prescription from your Clinical Referrer. Your workplace Witness* will grade your general performance against a number of competencies, and you will reflect on your own performance and skills.
*A Witness is a GDC registrant who observes your work.
What will this course allow me to do?
This course will allow you to offer oral health support to a broad range of patients with varying needs. You will educate your patients on the importance of good oral hygiene, diet advice and other oral health diseases and conditions, and you will use different teaching methods and apparatus.
This is a 90-minute online written examination composed of two sections:
- Part A – 45 multiple-choice questions (MCQ)
- Part B – 30 extended matching questions (EMQ)
You will be required to complete a work-based Electronic Record of Competence (eRoC). There are three sections to the eRoC:
- Practical Competence Assessment Sheets (PCAS)
- Case studies
- Supplementary outcomes
To enrol in the course you will need:
- To be a registered dental nurse with the General Dental Council (GDC) or Irish Dental Council (IDC)
- To have a supportive employer to supervise your Electronic Record of Competence (eRoC) completion
- To have a valid First Aid / Basic Life Support (BLS) certificate of completion
- Be competent in written and spoken English to able to communicate effectively with patients, their families and dental and healthcare professionals
- To be self-motivated