The syllabus is designed to provide Dental Nurses with the educational experience, including the knowledge, critical understanding, intellectual skills, practical skills and personal attitude to enable them to provide effective and safe radiography for dental patients.
Course Information and Syllabus
SmileWisdom invites registered dental nurses to join the NEBDN Certificate in Dental Radiography course.
Successfully qualified dental nurse who is awarded the NEBDN Certificate in Dental Radiography will be able to act under prescription as an IR(ME)R operator, in order to safely take intra-oral and extra-oral radiographs of patients. This is a highly valued skill, giving you an edge when applying for the jobs you really want.
During this course you will have:
- A standardised and quality assured learning experience
- An independent and objective assessment of theoretical and practical knowledge
- A portfolio of evidence of practical experience in the form of a detailed Record of Competence ( RoC )
- A nationally respected and recognised qualification
- The eligibility to become an IR(ME)R, operator
- All hours for this course will also contribute to core e-CPD as per GDC requirements
NEBDN qualification are nationally recognised and instantly understood by prospective employers. The SmileWisdom course is accredited against NEBDN standards to ensure that all candidates get a fully supported learning experience and are best prepared for the busy world of general dental practice.
- Radiation physics
- Radiation protection
- Apparatus & equipment
- Films & processing
- Digital Imaging
- Principles of imaging
- Film handling
- Intra- oral techniques & Extra- Oral techniques
- Digital imaging
- Quality assurance
- Care of patient
Record of Competence (RoC)
You will be required to complete a work-based Record of Competence (RoC). There are three sections to the RoC
- Practical Competence Assessment Sheets (PCAS)
- Case studies
- Supplementary outcomes
To apply for the course you must:
- B registered with the General Dental Council (GDC)
- Be sufficiently fluent in written and spoken English to communicate with patients, their relatives, the dental team and other healthcare professionals in the UK
- Be able to meet the work-based clinical requirements of the Record of Competence ( RoC )
- Be currently working in general dental practice
Fees, location and key information
Duration: 6 months
Frequency: Monthly class of 4 hours each
Starts date: 1st September 2021
Day/time: Wednesday 9am to 1pm
Where : The British Dental Association
64 Wimpole Street,
This is a 90-minute written examination composed of two sections:
- Part A – 60 multiple choice questions (MCQ)
- Part B – 15 extended matching questions (EMQ)
Examinations are held twice a year in March and September.
Award of qualification
In order to be awarded this qualification, you must:
- Complete and satisfy the requirements of the Record of Competence
- Pass the examination.
National Examining Board for Dental Nurses (NEBDN)
Your practice must be willing to allow you to take radiographs and supervise you in doing so.