Module 1 – Medical emergency guidance and regulation
- Guidance and regulation specific to dental practices.
- Emergency drug and equipment requirements
- Recent updates
Module 2 – Assessing the patient
- Primary and Secondary surveys.
- DR ABC DE
- Managing the conscious and unconscious patient.
Module 3 – Defibrillator supported Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation
- CPR equipment
- Chest compression and rescue breaths
- Defibrillator conditions for use, indications and contraindications.
Module 4 – Signs and symptoms and treatment of Medical conditions
- Cardiac arrest
- Myocardial infarction
- Panic Attack
- Epileptic seizure
- Anaphylactic Shock
Module 5 – Managing emergencies in the dental setting
- Specific challenges of responding to an emergency in the dental practice setting
- Hazards to be aware of the dental practice setting
- The benefits of having an up to date medical history, staff training and medical emergency drugs and equipment.
Module 6 – The Provision of CPR in Primary Dental Care during the COVID 19 Pandemic
- Update of all national guidelines for the safe provision of CPR in the dental setting during the pandemic.
Quality Standards: Primary dental care
GDC guidance on medical managing medical emergencies
CQC Dental Myth buster – List of medical emergency drugs and equipment required in the dental practice
CQC Regulation 12 (Safety of care and treatment).
CQC Regulation 17 (Good governance)
GDC Principle One Put patients’ interests first